Date: 1790

Origin: South New Berlin, Chenango County, NY

Builder: Unknown

Original owner: Brooks, William, ?-1904

Info: The Brooks Smokehouse is located behind the Lippitt farm house. It is a simple brick structure with a flat stone roof and is approximately 6' high. Its flat roof structure is unusual as most smokehouses of the time had gable roofs or very rarely a rounded roof. Another odd thing about this smokehouse is it small size, as it seems rather impractical for anything but the smallest of meats.

Provenance: The Farmers' Museum acquired the smokehouse from Charlotte Spicer Layton.
*Charlotte Spicer Layton acquired the property from Mort Brooks on April 28, 1943.
*Mort Brooks became sole owner on August 7, 1942.
*Esther Spicer and Mort Brooks inherited the property from Fred Brooks on April 4, 1941.
(Fred Brooks took control of property when William Brooks died April 13, 1904.)
*William Brooks purchased the property from Smith and Adaline Mayhew on August 13, 1868.
*Smith and Adaline Mayhew purchased property from William and Phoebe Mayhew on June 15, 1849.
*William Mayhew purchased property from John Taylor September 24, 1822.

Return to Historic Structures main page