Brooks Barn

Date: 1790

Origin: South New Berlin, Chenango County, NY

Builder: Mayhew, Brother of William

Original owner: Mayhew, William/ Brooks, William, ?-1904

Info: The Brooks Barn was originally built in on the farmstead of William Brooks. The farm has only been in the hands of two families since it was purchased in 1793. It now serves the Lippitt Farmstead as a stable and haymow.

Provenance: The Farmers' Museum acquired the barn from Charlotte Spicer Layton.
*Charlotte Spicer Layton acquired the property from Mort Brooks on April 28, 1943.
*Mort Brooks became sole owner on August 7, 1942.
*Esther Spicer and Mort Brooks inherited the property from Fred Brooks on April 4, 1941.
(Fred Brooks took control of property when William Brooks died April 13, 1904.)
*William Brooks purchased the property from Smith and Adaline Mayhew on August 13, 1868.
*Smith and Adaline Mayhew purchased property from William and Phoebe Mayhew on June 15, 1849.
*William Mayhew purchased property from John Taylor September 24, 1822.

Return to Historic Structures main page