Step Back in Time Weekend — Quilts and Quilting
September 20–21, 2014, from 10 am–5 pm
Experience quilting across the ages! During Quilts and Quilting Weekend, you’ll appreciate how thrift joined with creativity to produce a piece of history.
- Bring your own quilt for an assessment of its history, construction methods, and fabric dating.
- Suggestions for care and cleaning are provided with the assessment, and are all part of paid admission to the museum. (The assessment will not set a value or provide a written document.)
- Compare hand sewing and machine sewing, scrap quilting and art quilting, and the range of fiber and construction mediums.
- The Farmers’ Museum staff will demonstrate scrap quilting using reproduction fabrics from the mid-19th century.
- Talk to quilt club members and fabric store representatives.
- Try sewing and piecing yourself.
- You can try quilting.
- See a range of quilts and quilted pieces, including historical items from the Museum's collections.
The museum’s store is well-stocked with books that show the vast array of designs you can use to create your own quilt.
During Quilts and Quilting Weekend, life in 1845 continues throughout the museum’s historic village and farmstead. Don’t miss the Empire State Carousel, the museum you can ride.
Admission to all Step Back in Time weekends is included with regular museum admission. Members of the New York State Historical Association enjoy free admission. Join today!
All "Step Back in Time" weekends this year are sponsored in part by NBT Bank.