Step Back in Time Weekend — Quilts and Quilting
September 20–21, 2014, from 10 am–5 pm
Experience the many sides of quilting. During Quilts and Quilting Weekend,view a wide range of quilts, watch demonstrations, and try quilting yourself.
- Members of local guilds demonstrate sewing, quilting, and fiber-related skills such as felted animals and dyeing.
- Susquehanna Valley Quilters demonstrate machine piecing and display quilts from clothes, table runners, hand-applique techniques, hand-dyed printed fabric applique, and comfort quilts.
- Fenimore Quilt Club members will be quilting their raffle quilt for their February 2015 show.
- Handmade fiber items of various sizes and prices will be for sale.
- Designs range from floral, geometric, embellished, and signature quilts to the more sublime wholecloth quilts, where a single piece of fabric is decorated by intricate stitching.
- The Farmers’ Museum staff will demonstrate scrap quilting using reproduction fabrics from the mid-19th century.
Exhibit: View “Stitching New York: A Quilted Perspective,” an exhibit that celebrates the diversity of New York State. The result of a contest of the Quilt Consortium of New York State, "Stitching New York" features a variety of pieces, including one by Susquehanna Valley Quilters member Julie Pollak, who received a first place award.
- Try quilting yourself by creating a block using Appliquilt, a simple and rustic method developed by quilter and author Tonee White.
- Quilt on the Log Cabin quilt.
- Learn how you can get started on your own or with a group.
During Quilts and Quilting Weekend, life in 1845 continues throughout the museum’s historic village and farmstead. Don’t miss the Empire State Carousel, the museum you can ride.
Admission to all Step Back in Time weekends is included with regular museum admission. Members of the New York State Historical Association enjoy free admission. Join today!
All "Step Back in Time" weekends this year are sponsored in part by NBT Bank.