Step Back in Time Weekend — Civil War Life
August 16–17, 2014, from 10 am–5 pm
Experience what life was like for the typical New York State Civil War soldier. Chat with re-enactors as they go about the daily routine of a soldier in camp. Participate by “enlisting” in the infantry and learn the manual of arms and company drill from experienced drill sergeants. Activities throughout the weekend include:
- Drill and firing demonstrations
- Displays of period men’s and women’s fashions
- Special exhibits from local collections
Plus all the delightful activities that happen every day at The Farmers’ Museum:
- Take a spin on the Empire State Carousel.
- Print a poster on the Liberty Press.
- Build your own toolbox.
- Enjoy a heart-pounding band organ concert.
- Watch how medicines were made in the 1840s.
- See flax fiber transformed into yarn.
- Experience life on a farm.
- See rope being made.
- Feed the baby animals in Children's Barnyard.
- Milk a cow.
- And all the activities in the Historic Buildings, all too numerous to mention!
Admission to all Step Back in Time weekends is included with regular museum admission. Members of the New York State Historical Association enjoy free admission. Join today!
All "Step Back in Time" weekends this year are sponsored in part by NBT Bank.