Experience the magic of Candlelight Evening!
Saturday, December 12 • 3:00–7:00 pm
Join us for one of the region’s best-loved holiday traditions, Candlelight Evening. The landscape of the museum takes on a magical appearance, decorated in greenery and illuminated by hundreds of candles.
- Ride through the museum’s grounds in wagons pulled by draft horses adorned with "jingle bells."
- Experience a dramatic Reading of Charles Dickens' Classic "A Christmas Carol" by the author himself (as portrayed by Michael Henrici)
- Children take part in holiday arts and crafts activities.
- Visit with Saint Nicholas.
- Free rides on the Empire State Carousel - courtesy of Matt Sohns and family.
- Complimentary wassail, warmed in kettles over open fires.
- Bonfire on the Tavern Green
- Warm up with something hot from our delicious food and drink offerings at the Crossroads Café and L.C. Jones Center.
Music and live performances:
- Join in caroling in our candle-lit historic buildings - over 150 carolers in all!
- “A Living Nativity” presented by members of the congregation of Christ Episcopal Church.
- Holiday favorites played by local school bands.
- Traditional holiday favorites sung by the Catskill Chamber Singers.
Food: Warm up with food, hot cocoa and a variety of drinks at two locations. The Louis C. Jones Center will have pulled pork, chicken and biscuits, jumbo cookies and gingerbread, or visit The Crossroads Café for chili, hot soup, and jumbo cookies!
Shopping: A visit to the Museum this holiday season is not complete without a stop at The Farmers’ Museum Store and Todd’s General Store, where a large selection of handcrafted items from the museum are available as well as other seasonal favorites.
Staying warm: Candlelight Evening visitors should dress warmly and wear boots.
- Free shuttle service starts at 2:30 pm, serving the parking lots at the Otesaga, Cooperstown Elementary School, and the three trolley lots at the perimeter of the village. (The "Yellow" Lot, just north of the museum, will have its own dedicated bus this year.)
- Please re-visit this page for updated parking and shuttle information. Or call (607) 547-1450.
Admission: $12.00 adults, $10.50 visitors age 65 and over, $6.00 children age 7–12. Free for children 6 and younger. Free for members of the New York State Historical Association.
Candlelight Evening is sponsored in part by Community Bank, Haggerty Ace Hardware, Cathedral Candle Company, and Dyn’s Cider Mill. Free carousel rides sponsored by Matthew Sohns and Family. Candlelight Evening is also made possible with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.